Welcome to the Town of Westport Island, Maine
Westport Island is located on Maine’s mid-coast in Lincoln County in Sheepscot Bay. Surrounded by the Sheepscot River to the East and the Back and Sasanoa Rivers to the West, Westport Island is a quiet and picture perfect small Maine community of about 800 residents. Originally known as Jeremysquam, Westport Island was incorporated as part of Freetown (now Edgecomb) in 1774. In 1828, Westport became a separate town.
Westport Island flourished in the early 1800’s as a fishing and farming community—one of the most prosperous in Maine. Today, Westport Island is home to a broad cross section of residents from families who have lived here for generations to new residents and retirees who are proud to callWestport Island home.